Thursday, April 26, 2007

What is your domain name worth, to you?

For some people a domain name is only worth what they can sell it for. But to others the same domain name could be almost priceless. I was talking with my wife the other day, and she owns her own domain, and she has had it for a few years already - she owns the simple yet intelligent name, Ideaoverflow.com, which as a name is not really worth all that much. But to her, it is priceless, she came up with the name and we registered it right away and have had it in the family ever since.
Just before that, she came up with the name for my company, Straightfocus.com, and also, that domain has been in our family for almost 5 years now. I am not so sure I could sell it either, I really do like it and if I did sell, I would have to change the name of my company, and that would stink!

Other names that I own currently (and could be worth something) are as follows:

GoHD.tv
IGolfer.tv
GetEthos.com
Highlightworld.com
LatestFocus.com
StopWireless.com

And then I have a ton of other ones too, but honestly they are only worth something if someone offers me something. Take a look and see what I am talking about:
HITELMEDIA.COM
TOURSMEDIA.COM
BUFFMEDIA.COM
HIGHLIGHTGUIDE.COM

FINALAIM.COM
ENDFOCUS.COM

BESTAMERICANWIRELESS.COM
BESTCITYWIRELESS.COM
BESTLOCALWIRELESS.COM
EASYFREEWIRELESS.COM
EASYHOMEWIRELESS.COM
MYAMERICANWIRELESS.COM
MYCELLWIRELESS.COM
MYCHICAGOWIRELESS.COM
MYDIRECTWIRELESS.COM
MYINTERNETWIRELESS.COM
WEBFREEMOBILE.COM

STRAIGHTCONCEPT.COM
STRAIGHTIDEA.COM
THESTRAIGHTIDEA.COM
BDYNAMICINC.COM

And I guess in reality some of them could be worth something, but more than likely they are not going to sell, unless I develop a web site that creates value, and then in turn I will get some traffic, and then hopefully some dedicated visitors, and then, and only then, will it become worth something.

There are also a lot of places that will give you an appraisal on your domain, and some are even automated. They basically take measurements of your name, take the length and any key or dictionary words and give you what they might think the fair value is for that name. BUT, their value and YOUR value can be 2 completely different things.

Anyway, I just thought I would share a little bit.

Have a Great Day!

No comments: